How to easily create professional marketing videos

 

 

When I asked the How to do Marketing Facebook Group if they had any questions for Cristian Trujillo before I interviewed him, there were plenty!

How long should our videos be?
What equipment do we need?
Is there a formula or framework for the content in the video?

Cristian answers all of these and also tells us:

> how to plan for your video production,
> what the three essential ingredients to a quality video are,
> how to bring out the best in the people that you get to star in your video

and much, much more.

Videos are such a great way to help your audience get to know, like and trust you. And the stats really back up the need for video to be a huge contender in your marketing arsenal. For example, did you know:

> 53% of customers engage with a brand after watching a video on social media
> 68% of people prefer video over text when learning about a product or service (Wyzowl, 2019)
> Product videos can increase purchases by 144%. (Neil Patel, 2017)

Cristian runs video strategy workshops (that's how I met him) and they teach you everything you need to know about this medium. You can find out more about Cristian's Video Workshops here. Or you can connect with Cristian on LinkedIn here.

Join us in the How to do Marketing group in Facebook.
Subscribe to receive weekly small business marketing tips by visiting our website: https://dragonflymarketing.com.au/ 

Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcast

The How To Do Marketing Podcast delivers small business marketing tips every week, so be sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode.

Also, if you love what you hear, please do leave me a rating or review. This helps other small business owners discover the show. It also fills me with all of the happy feels when I see that people are enjoying the show. To review the show, head to the podcast and click on 'Ratings and Review' and then click on 'Write a Review'.

Click on the button below to subscribe in the Apple Podcast App.

Subscribe

Episode Transcript

Jane:

Cristian. Why do you love video and why do you think it’s such an important form of content for small businesses to include in their marketing?

Cristian:

Well, I love video because a video allows you to capture reality, in a different way. Video allows you to get a different perspective of, reality of a business of a situation out there. So video is one of it is the only medium available today that can engage in the three ways that we communicate as humans, you know, in a auditorily, visually and kinesthetically as well. So video allows you to convey emotions like no other media available. So if you think about all the other mediums available, all of them can up only two areas of communication that could be visual or only totally, but none of them can cover all the three of them. So I think that video is one of the most effective way to communicate  and especially today, you can use video to communicate with your audience and engage with your clients in a more effective way.

Jane:

Yeah, definitely. I agree with you. So where and how can businesses best use video?

Cristian:

So could you guys show me your not only marketing and sales, so we can use a video for marketing sales, but also for internal purposes. So video collection of a place, any type of communication that we have within the business, and this could be externally with any, clients, suppliers, but also internally with all the stakeholders of the business employees, you know, Monash man, a leader, chief staff members. So video, as a communication tool, kind of help you, for example, you know, to, present a quote or a proposal, we can help you, to promote your next event. We can help you to inspire and motivate your staff. You can use video to drive culture within the organization. So it’s not only a sales and marketing tool where you kind of engage and inspire and persuade clients to buy from your services. But also you can use this, you can use it in any other area of the business.

Jane:

Yeah, fantastic. And so before everybody starts whipping out their smart phones and starts filming, the next staff communication or their, next little message on social media, can you talk us through say three planning considerations that, that we need to think about before we actually start filming, or we start making the movie so to speak?

Cristian:

I think that one of the things that we forget, what we’re, when we start releasing video, is that we need to focus on our ideal times. And I think that’s first consideration before you start doing anything for marketing purposes, you have to think about who’s your audience. So who is that audience that will be receiving that message and I think that when we do that, most of the time we focus on their needs only, but also I think there needs to be an alignment between our core values as a business with our ideal client’s core values. So we need to analyze our ideal plans. And then from there, identify, the values and the standards, and then this will define the quality and the look and feel of my video. So then I can engage the right oils. So number one, be very clear about your ideal client.

Cristian:

Number two, I think that we need to be very clear on the purpose of the video. So we want to engage a certain audience, but what is the reason we want to connect with them? So what is the message? And I think that here, there is also something very important to consider because like on social media, people only consume content that is either entertaining or educational. So why do we want to put videos on social media to entertain or to educate and showcase our expertise? So what happened is that when we identify the purpose of our video, then we know that we are not after followers, we’re after ideal clients who want to buy our services. So number a one identify, your ideal client, number two, be very clear and specific about the purpose of the video. And I think number three is very important that we learn how to do it properly. Very important to understand how video works, because we all know that video is important, but not many people really understand how it works. So then by understanding how it works, we can clearly identify the equipment we need, the process we need to go through to ensure that the videos we put out there, they don’t work against that.

Jane:

Yes. So how do you mean like how it works? Like how it’s filmed or how people consume it?

Cristian:

Yeah, I mean, all the aspects of, I mean, we know that video is important, right, but we don’t know why video is so effective. And I think that when we understand the different elements of video and how video, you know, engage the audience that the videos we’re producing are actually doing the work. Many people are just putting videos out there for the sake of putting videos out there. And they’re not considering elements like quality, like the look and feel the message. So, you know, some experts say that the message is the most important thing that we should put video videos out there. My approach is that quality is equally important as that, because that represents your standards as a business. So it will attract your tightness with the same, standards to your business. So there are different elements that we need to consider. So then when we produce the content, we know exactly what to do. We’ll watch a video and we say, ah, I like that video. I like that, but we don’t really know why we just having a reaction. So there’s a psychological reaction behind every video we watch. So understanding how that works will allow me to produce the right videos for my business.

Jane:

Yeah. And with this, with the COVID-19 situation, you would have seen this as, as well. Everybody has suddenly jumped online, jumped on zoom, jumped on their smartphone, Microsoft teams and they’re creating videos that, that might just be consumed internally. You know, it might just be an internal meeting. It might just be some, message that they’re sending internally, but a lot of people are creating videos that they’re actually publishing, because they can, and because that’s how we kind of need to communicate. Now, do you think after this, that there’s going to be, you know, you spoke about quality and professionalism. Do you think there’s going to be greater acceptance from people for stuff, for videos that, look a little bit more off the cuff or a little less kind of polished now that we’ve just been exposed to so many people and kind of, I guess what you would call fairly average videos compared to ] what you could get produced professionally, do you think there’ll be a greater acceptance or do you think it’s still important to focus on producing good quality videos?

Cristian:

I think that over time, you know, we have seen this evolution, especially on social media, right? So every day is more acceptable to have a video that is not as sharp, however professional videos will always win. Okay. Because yeah, we might accept it, but that doesn’t mean that if suddenly, you see a highly professional video next to yours, people will go for the one that looks more professional because that would be more aligned to their values and the standards. So it’s important to consider that yeah, in a market where we’re all competing for attention, if we have the same video with the same message with the same, you know, everything, and one of them is higher quality. The higher quality video will always attract clients or audiences with higher standards will not change. You know, if the whole market is whole industry go low quality. Yeah. We will adjust. But as soon as someone comes in between with a high quality video, that video will attract the audiences with higher stamps.

Jane:

Yes. Yes. That’s very true. And, and on that note, when it comes to creating videos, because a lot of small businesses, you know, their marketing budgets are fairly tight, so they don’t have, loads of, marketing investment to be able to kind of produced Hollywood style, movies, particularly if they’re, or even, invest in, in a regular, professional output of, of videos, particularly if they’re going to be using these videos on a daily or weekly or even monthly basis, what do you recommend when it comes to video production? Do you think it’s necessary for us to outsource to the professionals? Or do you think there are some circumstances where we’re small business owners can do these videos themselves and still look professional as, as you were talking about?

Cristian:

My advice is always, if you have the budget to outsource everything, to someone who actually studied to do this professionally, do it. Okay.

Jane:

Have to agree with that, particularly from a marketing point of view fair point.

Cristian:

So if you have the budget or you have a professionally trained team members, yes. Let them do it because they know what they’re doing now, in terms of, you know, a small business with limited budget. My advice is always, there are some videos that must be produced by a videographer and there are all videos that can be produced by ourselves. Okay. So when it comes to video, I always say video has three components. You know, the message, the look and feel, and the quality of the video and all of these elements are equally important. So 33% of the video is the message. 33% is it look and feel and 33% is the quality. So if you don’t have all the three, these three elements, then probably you will always be missing out on something with a video. However, when you produce educational videos, like expert advice that you will share on social media, the most important part of those videos is the message because you are giving body, it is a marketing video part is not really, you are giving value, right?

Cristian:

So you’re giving expert advice. When you give expert the message is the most important part, which means that with the right tools and techniques, and if you learn how to do it properly, those videos can be done by you. Okay. However, they’re all over user yes. Marketing videos, right? When you think about your company profile video, when you think about your,  case studies from successful stories of your clients, my advice is that those videos should always be done by a videographer because they understand, you know, how to use the music, the sound, the colors, the images to persuade your audience, and portray your image in the right way. If you do this incorrectly, if you are not sharing your values and the standards in the right way, through your profile videos and case studies, you have the risk to keep the wrong image, attract the wrong audience, and even not attract the people you want to work with.

Jane:

Gosh, that’s so true. And I know even for us, as a, marketing consultancy,  when we’re working with small businesses, we absolutely bring in the videographers to, record, we call them brand videos, or those kind of promotional style videos, as you said, where you’re trying to kind of put together a professional looking high quality story and, and these videos will generally have a little bit more shelf time. So, you know, they’ll probably sit on the website and be consumed by a lot of people. And they’ll last a couple of years, so it’s worth the investment but the, but the kind of, day-to-day kind of getting on LinkedIn and sharing some expertise. I think that’s a really, really good point that you make the video becomes about the message and the content, as opposed to the look and feel and the branding components. I think that’s a really good point. So, okay. So if people go great, we want to do some of our, you know, more message focused videos, and produce those for social media. You know, we’re going to do them on a weekly rhythm or a couple of times per week. We still want them to look professional. We don’t want them to look, you know, homemade, inverted commas. What equipment would you recommend that people investing, if they’re, if they’re going to kind of really incorporate regular video into their marketing.

Cristian:

Great. So I think that, well, we need a camera, right? But my advice is always, if you are not doing this professionally, yes, use a smartphone because your smartphone comes with a high definition camera. So the smartphone is smart enough to do certain things that the DSLR camera needs to be programmed to do. So if you don’t have any video experience, use your smartphone because that’s a good enough quality camera. Having a tripod is a must. Okay. So I, as a rule, we should never film without the tripods, never use your hand, because first of all, you cannot frame properly and then you are moving around and it’s distracting, and then it restricts your, arms to move. Okay. So the tripod is a must, and then you need, of course the camera for that. I think I have something like this, right? So a hundred, $100 right on this here is just a camera holder that costs $20 on eBay. So for what kind of $20, you can have a tripod like that, where you put your phone and then you’re ready. So having these will allow you to have, for example, here, yes. It’s time in front of you, you know, the flexibility to, to deliver your message.

Jane:

For the people who are listening, I’ll actually put a camera and how I actually put a photo of that tripod in the show notes. So you can see what he’s, talking about. It’s a very, very simple piece of equipment.

Cristian:

Yeah. So the tripod is a mask. Then you need a lapel microphone. So I always recommend the use of lapel microphone because that will minimize the noise. But then the lights are very, very important, very important because the quality of your videos with the paint on the lights that you have available more than the camera. So you might have the most amazing camera, but if you don’t have light there, the quality is going to be locked. So make sure you have enough light. And for that, I always recommend things like this. So this is a soap box. Now you buy a debate and they cost you around $150. At this time, they weren’t expensive, or you can buy a pair of them for $150.

Jane:

And again, for those who are on audio, only if they kind of look like movie lights, like how you would imagine movie lights, they’re like a big kind of box light with it’s almost like a sheer piece of fabric over the top of them. And they’re on a, on a tripod and I’ve seen, I’ve done Cristian’s video course a couple of times, and I’ve seen them in action. They fold up and, and I think they’re quite portable. Am I, am I correct there?

Cristian:

The great things about that is that they are, they give you soft light, which means that, you know, they make you look 20 years younger.

Jane:

Oh, we all want that. Can we just have that to bring around in our handbag? And that’s great.

Cristian:

Like, this is very important. I think those are the basics, you know, lights, microphones, on a tripod type of as well. Yep. The tools I got like a teleprompter, for example, which is a tool that allows you to, to read your scripts from your phone in case you want to use a different time. If you want to write a script, you can put the app on your phone. And then you can cover your scripts on your phone, and then you can play the script. And the app will record a video of you as you read this script.

Jane:

Yes. Tricky now, what I might even do Cristian, because I know that, and if you’re happy for me to, I know you’ve got like a little equipment kit for under $500 that you recommend for people. Is it all right if I include the, the link to those products in the show notes for this?

Cristian:

Yeah. So, well, you can, on my website, I have a page with just resources. You can go there, I can give you the link. And then from there, I have links to every place where you can just go and buy, you know, your lighting, your apps and things like that. You know, I’m not associated with any brand or yes, I did my research and I think that they are great. So they’re there for you to go and check on online, all these different tools that you can use.

Jane:

Fantastic. Great. That saves us doing all the research. Brilliant. Okay. So we’ve got our equipment. Now, if it’s not just us that are going to start in the video, perhaps we’ve got some camera shy people, or perhaps we want to, you know, include, an array of people in our videos. We choose to put into our videos. So, so our talent as they’re called, can you help us plan who we choose to include in our videos, particularly if we plan to feature real people because it’s small business. A lot of the time, like as a marketing consultant, I actually recommend that they do include the real people behind their business. But there’s obviously a particular type of person we’re kind of looking for there that will kind of pop and radiate, on VO. What, what do we need to consider when we plan? Who’s going to star in our video?

Cristian:

Yeah. So first of all, we have to remember that people buy people, people buy from people we don’t buy from businesses. So that’s why it’s so powerful to have real people in our videos. If we think about the it’s more business, and we are developing a video to showcase our business, whoever is the face of that business, whoever is the person that’s going to be recognized as the leader or the expert of that business should be the face of that video. Your business is selling products, not services. So if they’re blogging about products, yeah, you can use anyone within the business, or you can hire a talent like a PE you know, a TV presenter, or actor or actress to deliver the piece of content. But if you are wanting to show leadership and expertise, you, my advice is to use the person who’s going to be the face of the business.

Cristian:

For example, if you have many consultants within your business, you can use different consultants for different businesses to provide advice. An issue is developing like a case study or testimonial video. You want to use of course your time, but then again, you want to film your client at their location. So you always, again, you need to go back and think about, okay, who’s my ideal client. What is the purpose of this video? And then you will clearly identify which person should do the delivery of the content. Now, how do we prepare this person for, for the delivery? I think that, it’s very important. I mean, we don’t want to be on camera because we know that whatever we do is going to stay there for a long time. Basically, we don’t want to make a fool of ourselves in front of the camera because that’s going to be recorded.

Cristian:

Right? So as videographers or as directors, we have to ensure the person that, you know, the way that we look when the video is done. So that would give them confidence. For example, it’s very important to show previous examples. Like you’re trying to get at time to do a video, show them something you did before that say, look, we have done this already. I’m that person in that video was never on camera before, or you’re using a PVR a far as the video file to give you samples of similar work. So then they will see how they will potentially look in the video. But then again, I mean, with video, I mean, we don’t want a perfect message. We want a honest message, right? So we don’t want a perfect delivery. And that’s something we all need to understand that with video is all about, you know, being yourself and just share from your heart, what you believe is true, any context of an interview, or even if you’re reading a script, if you can believe what you’re saying, I would say don’t do it.

Jane:

Yeah. And, what about, so, say for example, you’ve got, an example of a client who is the perfect, like as a business and as an organization is the perfect example of a client and the one that you want to attract more of, but the person that you need to interview, or the person that you need to put on video there, or it could even be a staff member that you’ve got within your business, but they’re not great in terms of delivering, you know, and articulating a message or they don’t have a great camera personality, or like, do we need to consider that, do we reject those people from a video? Or do we just try and kind of work with those people in the, in the idea that they’re real, and, and people might relate to them, or do we try and go for, for someone who might be a bit more engaging on, video

Cristian:

So interviewing is a skill. So I always say, when you, when I see a bad interview or a person delivering an interview, that it’s not right. I put the whole responsibility in the person who is doing the interview. Okay. So it’s the skill of the videographer of where was interviewing to make the person look right? So it’s not their responsibility to be great on camera because we were not born with that ability, right? So there’s a whole, I mean, if the person is willing to give you an interview, you, can make that person look great and help her deliver at their best is a person who is not willing to do it. Then there’s nothing you can do about it. So it’s, the person is willing to do it. Then you can help her. If you have the right tools and the right experience, you can guide them through the process, to the lever, because what happened, we, I mean, unless you have a disability that you cannot talk, we, whenever we’re in a very comfortable, comfortable space, we can talk normally with, talk with friends, with, with our partners, with colleagues.

Cristian:

So the interview is, it’s nothing different than that. So it’s about data viewer creating the right safe space for them to express themselves properly. And that’s a skill for them to be well.

Jane:

That’s a great point. Great point. Fantastic. Now what about like physically, do we need to look, you know, wear certain things or recommended that people wear certain things with when they’re being filmed? Is it a good idea to, wear makeup? And that’s a question for, you know, males and females. I know there’s a lot of males on TV that wear foundation, or, you know, bits and bobs to make themselves pop. Are there any kind of no-nos or any kind of recommends in terms of you know, clothing and makeup and hair and those sorts of things?

Cristian:

Absolutely. So I always say, look, when you produce a video and you put it on social media, you’re exposing your image to the world, right? So you put a video out there, you have millions of people watching you. So you have to think that within those, that group of people, maybe you will be talking straight. It’s trying to your ideal client to the most important client or to that investor that can change your business forever. So my question to be, what is, how would you dress for the most important meeting that will transform your business? How will you dress to meet that potential client that can give you the $1 million, you know, sale the same way, the same way you dress for those important meetings is how you should dress for all your videos. Yes. So always be professional, you know, never be like, you know, use your game GA or, or like many people today.

Cristian:

They look like they’re in their pajamas. Right. It doesn’t change anything. You’re still talking to a professional audience. So we have to keep it professional, is very important, you know, very important that we remember that that ideal client, that investor could be there watching to dress in that way. And with the makeup, it’s the same thing. Do not for female. Like, how will you try, how will you do your makeup for that meeting? So yeah, in terms of, the way we dress very important, keep it professional, keep it simple. Don’t do anything different. I always suggest you try first, you know, where they should make up or they want to try something. Yes. Try first, put it there it, and then you test it, you know, so don’t just do all make up and going to camera, do it the day before and see how it looks.

Cristian:

And remember that the lights always change, you know, so she’d do it at nine in the morning. It’s not the same to doing a 5:00 PM. So all those different elements are very important to consider with makeup. You know, I’m not an expert, but I’ve worked with a lot of people in the industry. It’s very important, to go, to stay with natural colors, you know, it’s always important. It’s important as well, to focus on one area of your face, it could be your eyes or your lips or your mouth, as yes, the eyes, because you want people looking at your eyes as you’re delivering your content. What else would that, but test it that, that’s, that’s my advice. I’m always open for men. You’re going to use, you know, some, lip moisturizer is always good for that when you foundation, this is for girls and guys, I mean, big show that your hands looked the same color, you know, or your neck also looks the same color sometimes put on the face, but not on your hands.

Jane:

I’ve never thought about that. Yeah. And I guess, you know, and it, and if you’re a person that doesn’t wear a lot of makeup and that’s not your thing well, it’s, you know, that’s absolutely fine as, as well. And, and the point that you’re making really is, is how do you normally show up what is the best version of your, yourself, your appearance, show up that way on, on video.

Cristian:

But again, I mean, the camera will restore your image a little bit, you know, so you look more flat, we look more flat on camera. So it’s very important to test it. Like if you wear no makeup, well, do a video without makeup, and then see how you look and then go back, whatever the makeup, something very soft, and then test it again. And just compare because you live with makeup on the video is the way you perceive yourself where you’re not on video. So maybe you need to do a little bit of that.

Jane:

Yeah. Okay. Yep. Good point. Very good point. So when we look at the different types of videos that we can produce, what’s the difference between a promotional video versus an educational video versus a brand video versus a, you know, information video, and when should businesses use each one?

Cristian:

I think we need to, I mean, my approach is that we need all of them, right? So in the way I present these, they say, before buying from us, our clients want to know three things. Are we the expert? Who are we, why should they buy from us? And can they trust us? So we need to find a way to answer those three questions with the video. Okay. So I always say that if we answer the question that we are the expert that is going to generate leads. If we answered the question, you know, who are we and why they should buy from us that’s brand awareness. And if we answer the question that they can trust us, that’s combustion rights. So I say that video can help us in three areas, increase lead generation, decrease, runaway decrease conversion, right? So we need to find videos for each of these categories for marketing and sales.

Cristian:

So for literation we know now that we need to, answer the question that we are the expert, however, we cannot say I’m the expert, right? And that’s one of the big mistakes that companies make, or they say, I want to produce, say, promotional video to increase the generation that doesn’t work, because we can not promote ourselves to show expertise. So the way we show expertise is by policing educational expert videos, right? So the educational videos are the ones that would show that we are the experts and they, those are the ones that will help us increase lead generation. Those videos are for social media, right? You put it on social media, you put them on YouTube, you send them out, your newsletter, you put your email marketing campaign and that’s how you engage with people, right?

Cristian:

Because once people identify you as the expert, because of all the value you have share with those videos, then we want to find out more, okay. Or if they have the need to some of your services, they will want to find out more and they will come to your website. Then on your website, you need to answer the question who you are, why they should do business with you. And that’s your profit video. That could be your profitability, your company, video, or brand video. And that’s the video that shows your values. Your standards mentioned your services, your purpose for being in business, right? So after I know that you are the expert after I know who you are and why should I buy from you? Then I want to know if I, if I can trust you. So how do we do that with case studies?

Cristian:

And these are the videos where we go to our times and we interview success stories of clients, right? So case studies are also to be placed on our website. So profile videos on case studies on our website, on the educational videos, on social media. So those are the three main type of videos that ICS for our marketing Australia that we need to produce. And they have to be placed in different places. We use the profile video to increase lead generation. We used to profile video to increase brand awareness. We don’t use the case studies or the time that you have to quickly generation. We use those to increase our conversion rates.

Jane:

Yes. Yeah. That’s an excellent breakdown of, of when to use which type of video. Thank you. And, do you have any examples of, of businesses, you know, that might, that might be Google-able for people to go and have a look at some good examples of say brand videos or good examples of, of information videos, or conversion video. Are there some brands or businesses that you can point to that have some good video examples of those?

Cristian:

Yes. Well, I’ve worked with some times and then that we have implemented the full strategy. You go to a company called ancho. They are insurance brokers. So what they do, what we did, we produced a profile video, and then we did case studies per different industries. It’s a great example because they worked with specific industries within the insurance industry, like transport companies, real estate companies, you know.

Jane:

Okay, cool. So how do you spell that? Like E N S U R E, if we just Google that

Cristian:

It’s N S U R E

Jane:

E also just the, let it in and yeah, sure. Okay.

Cristian:

So they did a whole, they did like educational videos for four months, like 52 videos that they put in the media to share value.

Jane:

Okay, great. I’ll try and track those down and stick those in the show notes. So, you’ve said that, the best type of videos, which I would agree for social media or those kinds of educational or, or information videos, common question, because they’re adding value, a common question that I get, I’m sure that you get, how long should we be making our videos? Now, if I’m talking specifically about social media and, I realized that YouTube is very different from Instagram, very different from Facebook, and they might all have different recommended links. What’s your answer to that question? When you’re asked, how long should my videos be on social media?

Cristian:

I think that to answer that question, we need to know first that social media is a social platform, right? We go to social media, no matter which social media platform, we go there to search a life. We don’t go to LinkedIn or to facebook to learn something. Every time you want to learn something, or you want to watch a video for it, we go to YouTube. So YouTube could be considered a learning platform. So when we’re talking about policing educational videos for social media, those videos, they must be social, which means they have to be short. Right? So my advice for like LinkedIn and Facebook is to keep a video no longer than 90 seconds. I think that two minutes is the maximum length.

Cristian:

And then I get the challenge from my client and say, well, but I have so much to say, say, well, you have to understand that these educational videos are produced with the context of a marketing strategy. So you are educating your audience, but at the end of the day, this is marketing. Yes, the educational videos to keep your audience insights about something they haven’t thought about before. So then they want to learn more and to learn more, they will contact you because you are the one giving them the insight. So don’t, it’s not a proper educational piece. It’s an insightful piece about that topic that you are an expert, then we’ll have your ideal clients. So my problem, but then if you really want to produce a longer intentional video, like five minute video, put a video on YouTube, or you can direct people, you know, to listen to the full version, go to my YouTube channel, and then you can create a proper training channel on YouTube with five minute videos, 10 minute videos, because people will go there to find information.

Jane:

Yeah. And, and in my experience, Instagram TV seems to be that, space for those longer form videos as, as well. They don’t seem to be as educational as, as YouTube. Cause I agree, every how to video on YouTube is, is generally at least, you know, five to 10 minutes in length, but so are a lot of the Instagram TV videos, but they don’t tend to be as, this is how, like some of them actually seem to be quite conversational. Even though they’re not there, they’re still one way, but it’s a, it’s a very different and quite an emerging space. I’m still really kind of trying to get my head around it. Have you done a lot with Instagram TV?

Cristian:

No, I don’t do much with that, but there is a great growing opportunity with them as well. But again, it all depends on your audience. Yeah. I always say to my class because they weren’t, should I put my video as well? Where is your audience, your LinkedIn, do they consume phase two? Do they consume Instagram, different audiences? Like in my case, I work mainly with corporates with professional and even small businesses, but in the corporate industry professional services for professional services, they focus more on LinkedIn. Not many professional services are, you know, exploring Instagram because there are not many professional services consumers, you know, and that is great. Where is my ideal client? Wow.

Jane:

Yeah. Yeah. That’s, that’s absolutely right. That’s a good answer. So essentially that was, no more than a minute and a half or two minutes that if it’s on, on Facebook, I think if you want your video to be consumed in Instagram, in the newsfeed, I don’t think it can be longer than 60 seconds anyway. And if it is, that’s when it will go over to Instagram TV, LinkedIn minute and a half. And I know LinkedIn has a, has a limit. You can’t actually upload anything longer than 10 minutes to LinkedIn. So if you’ve got that longer form video where you’re actually showing someone how to do something or training them, YouTube is, is the spot for, for that. But as Cristian said, not if your clients aren’t there or your target audience, aren’t there work out where they are and where they’re consuming their content. First of all, that’s an excellent answer. Quickly on, the link. What about for those brand and promotional videos on, on your website? Should they be that kind of minute and a half, two as well? Or, maybe longer?

Cristian:

Yeah. I mean, for a company video, again, we wanted around 90 seconds, two minutes maximum. And again, we are not, what are the mistakes we make is said, we want to share everything about us. And no one really cares about us and that’s a very humbling experience, but we need to go through a review in the content because people want to know, you know, who you are and why they should do business. We want need to be the, the shorter, the message, the more effective the message, right? Your company video, no more than two minutes then for client testimonials videos or case studies. I was, yes, no more than three minutes. And here, these videos can be longer. All right. And there is a reason for that, because if, if we follow the process, right, I consume your educational videos. So I know you are the expert.

Cristian:

I go to your website, I consume your company, right? So now I know that you are the expert. I know who you are, and I know why I should do business with you. I want to know if I, if I can trust you. So for that, if I consume an educational video of someone who looks like me, like my business, I will spend more time trying to know all the details from that video to know if you’re going to give you my money to do services, I’m already invested in the process. Now the client testimonial video is a perfect tool to overcome all the objections that someone might have to use your services. Those, you get your client to talk about those objections in reverse. So how you do that, but ask them

Jane:

That’s the interviewing skills coming into play. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I love it. So, you mentioned before that one of the big mistakes that a lot of businesses use is almost being a little bit too self-indulgent in, how much, the information that they include in their videos. They’re out of what the style, what are some of the other mistakes that you see business owners make with their videos?

Jane:

Any videos in terms of, information, videos that they put out on, on social media brand videos? What, what are some of the mistakes that you see a lot of people make with, with any of them?

Cristian:

Well, I guess number one is not thinking about, again, pointing back to the first question, not thinking about your ideal client, and then not thinking about the purpose of that video. I always say, why are you producing this video? Are you video to get followers, to be fibers or to engage ideal class who want to invest their money to buy your services completely different? Different perspective. They’re not understanding the different types of videos, the different platforms where we should basis videos, right? People want to increase lead generation producing. A corporate video will never help you increase the generation. You know what? They produce a corporate video for their social media, or they produce five educational videos. And then because they don’t get any results to say video, that’s the word video is a long term strategy, right? I’ve been producing videos for my own business for the last eight years, every week for eight years. Wow. So it’s like, it’s a long-term thing. You know, if you’re doing ongoing videos for social media, you have to wait at least six months until you start seeing the results, because people need to get used to the value you are getting. It’s a long-term thing. And then we have to cover all the aspects in your lead generation, your brand awareness and your conversion rate. So all of those videos are important.

Cristian:

What else? Yeah. Thinking that authenticity comes with a quality, which has nothing to do with that. Authenticity comes with a message. If you give an authentic message, you know, the quality of video, we, yes. Encase that authenticity. It has nothing to do with, you know, my video is very raw because I do it with my phone when I’m in the gym.

Jane:

Yes. Yeah. No, that makes that, that makes a lot of sense. And, so speaking of videos and, and them helping. So as you’ve described it, it’s like an ecosystem. So it’s not just about kind of producing those information videos. It’s not just about doing one brand video and then ticking the video box for you for your marketing planning. It’s about having, having all of those types of videos, all working with each other, to move people from brand awareness, as you said. And for people understanding that you’re an expert in a certain topic, moving them to your website, where they find out a little bit more about you, to the case, study examples and the testimonials where they, get to trust you a little bit more and then hopefully they buy. So that’s the, there’s an ecosystem there. What measurements are we using along the way to understand that we are going in the right direction? Because as you said, it could take six months before videos really start to kind of show any real effect in terms of leads, let’s, let’s call leads the ultimate outcome. What are some of the metrics that you look at with a video to see? Are we going in the right direction? You know, are these videos actually being watched? Are they actually being engaged with what, what do you look at?

Cristian:

Well, I mean, here’s this a bit tricky because, what are the mistakes that, you know, business owners and finance departments make is that they put video in the sales, sales, bolts, right? As videos like a sales tool is not sales. Video is marketing every, or any marketing initiative is you, you will, you will never have an exact, exact measurement to see the return on investment. However, as you see long term, you can start measuring the activities or your website. They, they, the visits you have, or every time you get on Utah, you, you can ask them, how do you find out about us? You know, every time someone signed up for my planning, I, you know, I asked them, how did you find out about me? I’ll say, well, through LinkedIn, through your videos, but it’s more about the feedback you get from your audience.

Cristian:

It happens like, you know, it happened to me like I’m in the two weeks ago, three weeks ago, I was at Wooly’s right. And I was buying groceries. And someone came to me to say, you’re a Cristian. You are the guy who makes videos. But I’ve been following you for three years. Someone just random, but you can just talk. Right. But that’s the kind of feedback you will get. But it’s all about seeing traffic coming to your website or traffic coming to your social media platforms or the clicks you get through your newsletters and email marketing campaigns. Yeah.

Jane:

Yeah. So that’s the logic, but what about like, what do you measure if people are actually watching? So say for example, if you’ve got a one and a half minute video on Facebook, you know, like Facebook will give you the metrics through time, which I think is only a 15 second measurement to tell you that someone’s just watched 15 seconds, whether it actually says video views on Facebook, that’s only measuring a three second view. Do you look at that to see if, if people are actually kind of watching and how long people are actually watching the video or for you, is it more about, you know, this is a lead generation tool, is it generating leads?

Cristian:

Well, it’s a bit of, it’s a bit of both, right? I mean, I look at it, I look at the numbers and I think that’s important always to look at the numbers on every platform, give you, gives you, you know, some type of metrics, how they are. I’m not sure even with YouTube, I don’t think they are very, very accurate to look at the numbers of views, you know, like on social media or Facebook, as you said, but also, I mean, you have to balance it. I mean, it’s very subjective. Look it’s generally easy spring, you know, bringing, traffic to my website because at the end of the day, if people like video every day out there, yes, by someone seeing that you are doing something with somebody, they might not even watch a video, then maybe watch one video during that week of unit. And then everyday you reminded them that you will, they’re giving more volume. So even if they don’t consume the video by yes. Scrolling through their feed and they see you, there is a reminder that you are there and they say, so the life in which we actually consume the video.

Cristian:

Yeah, it’s very subjective, but then that’s why the video has to be short because at the end of the video, my advice to put a call to action is when you measure as well, because you say for more information, visit our website information, book, a free consultation with me on my website. If you want to learn more, come to my YouTube channel,

Jane:

Measure the effect of that. Yeah. That’s a really good point. And a personal, I guess a bit of anecdotal feedback based on my experience with video, and I’ve probably been doing video on LinkedIn. I don’t know, probably for about a year now. And I  also do it on Facebook as well. And what I found is that, people will kind of, and I’m in a regional area. So the fact that people are coming up to you in Sydney, which is obviously, there’s a lot more people in Sydney. So someone’s actually recognized you in the middle of Sydney. That’s pretty impressive. But I live in a regional area where we’re, you know, obviously there’s, there’s less people, but I know that,  after about six months and I think you’re absolutely bang on, there does take about six months for them to, to actually start really kind of sinking in.

Jane:

But I would notice that people would start coming up to me and just launch straight into conversation, Hi Jane, you know, talk and talk and they’d be talking about subjects. And I would think I have absolutely no idea who you are. I’m pretty sure I’ve never met you or maybe I have met you. And I just can’t, you know, I can’t remember you, but you seem so familiar with me. And this happened a couple of times, and I was starting to think, oh my goodness, you know, I’m getting old, I’ve started to forget all the people that I’ve met. But I actually then realized, I think it was at one point somebody came up to me and said, and I think I must have referenced something that was in one of my videos.

Jane:

And it was at that point that I went, oh my goodness. I think these people are seeing me so often in their, in their feeds. And as you said before, at the beginning of the interview, you know, it’s a visual it’s auditory. And, obviously the, the words, people are actually, people actually think that they know me, you know? So people actually think that they’ve met with me because they’ve seen me on video so many times. So that kind of know like trust has been amplified or almost fast-forwarded to the point where they actually think, yeah, you know, we we’ve met each other. We know each other, which is incredibly powerful.

Cristian:

And, and as we said before, that’s, that’s the power of video, right. That’s why it’s so important to have a face. And your face is you are the leader of the business. You have to be there because you are building trust with your client. Yes. By giving them value. It’s so powerful. I was filming with a client two weeks ago. Right. We’re doing like one of those, you know, very social distance filming. It’s been three months since we have been doing these videos every week and I haven’t got any leads out of it. So, well, you have to wait. It’s a six month process. We discussed this through COVID 19, which is like nobody’s buying anyway. So he was prepared. And then he said, well, I need to attend a call with a time. So we we had a break, you know, for like half an hour, his public is gone.

Cristian:

And then he came back and said, you know, I was talking to my client and she was telling me about the videos. He kept me watching on social media about me and about the services. And he has inquired something. Yes. Because he saw, you know, something, they mentioned, they triggered something and they will tell me how, how professional they look out. They make me look so professional as an expert, which I’m making, it was like, oh, this is working yet, probably with enough people yet to know who is watching now that you go to one of the working events, I’m going to get people reaching me from everywhere. Saying, I know you because you are the video guy from social.

Jane:

Yeah. And sometimes it might be subconscious, you know, sometimes, you know, there’ll be, circumstances where people go, I know you just know your face. I feel like I’ve met you. And again, you know, now I’m inclined to think. I think it’s because you’ve seen me on Facebook, you’ve seen my video and you’ve heard my voice. So when you actually meet me in person, I seem familiar and that, you know, that’s exactly what we want to do with that. With that part of our marketing is, is tight people from that know, like trust, you know, on that know, like trust version and that know like trust journey should I say? And I think that’s what video does really, really quickly. So, yeah. Look, I love those love, those stories and examples. So now Cristian, I have, attended a couple of your courses. I actually attended them face to face in Sydney that were full day workshops. I found them so useful and insightful and all the information that you give, is like incredibly generous and there’s a lot to work through. and your still delivering these during social distancing, can you tell us a little bit about these, these courses?

Cristian:

Yeah. So right now we are not allowed to run any of those courses. So we move the full four day training into a online session. So training on an ongoing basis, like right now it’s weekly basis. We might go right now in a weekly basis. We might moving to not fortnight basis, but basically the course, you know, we cover pretty much everything we discussed today in a must be believable, so design for any, or every attendee, you know, to get a full understanding, of video COVID works, all the different areas that they can implement it in their own businesses. And then we develop a strategy together for the next 52 weeks, you know, for the next 12 months. And then we cover, all the different elements on how you can make the videos yourself. So currently is a half a day course, and we deliver that on online basis.

Jane:

Perfect. Fantastic. And, so if people want to reach out to you find out more about this course, or maybe see some of those fabulous LinkedIn videos that you were talking about, where can they find you?

Cristian:

Well, you can go into my website is, creativecreations.tv, or you can find me on LinkedIn as well I’m very active on LinkedIn and always sharing educational videos, and always engaging with content.

Jane:

And so should they just search for you, personally Cristian Trujillo? Or should they go to creative creation?

Cristian:

Yeah, just my name. I have my company page, but most of the engagement I do is through my own.

Jane:

Okay, fantastic. And I’ll put those links in the show notes as well. Kristen, thank you so much for joining us. That’s just been such an informative interview and once again, you know, I always learn something from these podcasts and I’ve picked up some extra tips today. So thank you so much for that Cristian really appreciate your time.

Cristian:

Thank you again. I really appreciate you having me here and, you know, good luck to everyone who is producing their own videos. Video is a great opportunity for all of us, especially during these times to connect and engage with our time. So it’s very important to embrace it. And if you are on the line, they’re saying, I don’t know, well do it because we’re going anywhere and it’s going to become more and more important.

Jane:

Absolutely. Couldn’t agree with you more. Thanks, Cristian.

Cristian:

Yeah, have a good day. Bye.